230 attendees from 65 countries engaged in a lively and informative Q/A session with all speakers.
Joint Statement on Renewables Working Together
The renewable industries will work together to deliver 100% renewable energy. This can only be achieved through renewables integration. Together, the renewable energy technologies are greater than the sum of their parts. A significant increase in investment in renewables will fuel economic growth, create employment and contribute to a climate-safe future. To ensure this, the International Renewable Energy Alliance (REN Alliance) calls for the following:
- Accelerated renewables deployment, especially in heating, cooling and transportation, also by connecting all sectors. The uptake of renewables in heating, cooling and transport remains slow, even though these sectors account for over three-fourths of total energy demand. Policy attention in this area is still lacking.
- Substantial financial incentives for renewables to create a competitive advantage for end-users and encourage self-supply.The deployment of renewables in the energy sector still faces multiple barriers. Further policy support is needed to advance the achievement of a 100% renewable energy future. Policies ranging from pricing instruments to financial and fiscal incentives, quotas and obligations, are needed to support clean, efficient and renewable energy projects.
- Additional benefits and services of renewables to be considered when designing market mechanisms, not just the lowest price. The socio-economic benefits of the transition to a 100% renewable energy future is of vital importance. Mitigating climate change through the deployment of price-competitive renewable energy needs to be considered to future-proof our economy and society.
- Broader policy frameworks devoted to a just and inclusive energy transition. Renewable energy technologies lie at the heart of the energy transformation. This transition should focus on deployment, enabling and integrating policies that attract the full variety of investors, from individuals, communities and SMEs up to larger companies, to participate and invest.
- Development of green skills and renewable jobs offered to communities. Incentives for education and training are needed to match the future skills demand for the energy transition. These incentives should address social and gender equity.
- Mapping and promotion of the health benefits of a green energy-based economy. Replacing fossil fuels with renewable energy technologies is a positive force for climate, society and health.
Download the full statement here!
About the REN Alliance
The International Renewable Energy Alliance (REN Alliance) brings together five renewable industry organisations to promote the use of renewable energy technologies worldwide: the International Hydropower Association, the International Geothermal Association, the International Solar Energy Society, the World Bioenergy Association, and the World Wind Energy Association.
The goal of the REN Alliance is to foster collaboration among renewables, promoting successful implementation strategies, enhancing business conditions and developing markets. We do this by providing reliable information to inform decision-making nationally and internationally to further the principles and goals set out in the 2004 Bonn Declaration on Renewable Energies.