Solar Energy, the official journal of the International Solar Energy Society is devoted exclusively to the science and technology of solar energy applications. With participation encompassing 100 countries, ISES serves as a center for information on research and development in solar energy utilization. Through its publications and its sponsorship of technical conferences, the Society provides a world forum for the active consideration of solar energy. Solar Energy welcomes manuscripts presenting information on any aspect of solar energy measurement, research, development, application, or policy.
Solar Energy welcomes manuscripts presenting information not previously published in journals on any aspect of solar energy research, development, application, measurement or policy. The term "solar energy" in this context includes the indirect uses such as wind energy and biomass. Because of the international character of Solar Energy, articles that deal solely with the solar radiation or wind data base of a specific country are not normally considered suitable for Solar Energy. Submitted manuscripts may take the form of reports of original studies or reviews of significant prior work in a given area. All manuscripts are subject to reviews to assure accuracy, clarity, and long-term value.
Solar Energy covers topics such as:
- Solar Buildings
- Solar Thermal Energy Conversion
- Photovoltaic Systems
- Solar Thermal Power Plants
- Materials, Optics, Energy Storage
- Solar Chemistry
- Resources and Radiation
- Economics and Policy
Solar Energy Audience: Researchers, academics, architects and technicians involved in the research, design, construction and utilisation of photovoltaics and solar energy systems.
Please see the Editorial Board, Publisher Elsevier for further information.
Solar Energy is available to members of ISES at the following prices:
|Solar Energy Journal - paper version (18 issues/year)||€ 55|
|Solar Energy Online* - electronic version (18 issues/year)||€ 48|
*not available for Corporate members
The online version includes access to 18 regular volumes for the current year and access to back files up to 4 years from start of subscription, plus access to full archive of abstracts.
Not a member of ISES yet? If you are not yet a member, you will be offered the opportunity of purchasing a subscription to Solar Energy during your registration process. Please join ISES here.
For libraries, the Journal is available directly from the publisher (journals.elsevier.com/solar-energy/). Prices vary from region to region.
All subscriptions are for personal use only and may not be shared or placed in institutional or university libraries or other libraries, nor may any personal subscriptions be used for library purposes.
Solar Energy Special Issues:
Within the Solar Energy journal, special issues are published. These special issues cover solar energy technologies as well as certain ISES conferences.
Recent special issues of Solar Energy are:
- Recent Advances in Solar Photocatalysis
- Special Issue on Solar Thermal Power and Chemistry in Honor of Prof. Aldo Steinfeld
- Special Issue on Salinity Gradient Solar Ponds: Lessons we learned and the Way Forward
- Special Section on Highlighting Energy research by authors based in the Global South
See the full list of past Solar Energy special issues here.
Solar Energy Best Paper Awards:
This award was initiated in 1981, at that time it was called the Löf/Duffie Best Paper Award, and since 2007 has been called the "Solar Energy Journal Best Paper Award". The award is presented to authors of papers considered to be outstanding contributions published in the ISES scientific journal, "Solar Energy". The award is presented to papers that demonstrate significant pioneering contributions to the solar energy literature, for innovative concepts or approaches, and whose quality and presentation have a lasting impact. The papers chosen for this award are selected by the the Editor-in-Chief, Subject Area Editors and Associate Editors of the Solar Energy Journal. The award consists of a certificate and a small cash prize funded by Elsevier.
Best Paper Awards are presented in the categories of:
- Solar Heating and Cooling, Buildings and Other
- Resources and Meteorology
- Solar Environmental, Photocatalytic, and New Areas
- Concentrating Solar Power and High Temperature Processes
Call for Papers
Solar Energy is calling for submissions to several special issues:
- Special Issue on Building-Integrated Solar Energy - Submission Deadline: 30 June 2023
- Special Issue on Particle-based Solar Energy Capture and Storage for Concentrated Solar Power - Submission Deadline: 30 June 2023
- Call for papers on Photovoltaic Recycling and Carbon-Neutral Manufacturing - Submission Deadline: 31 August 2023
You can sign up for email alerts from the Solar Energy Journal, so you will be notified every time a new article is published. To sign up for the alerts, please use our manual here.
Abstracting / Indexing
- Applied Mechanical Review
- Applied Science & Technology Index
- BIOSIS Database
- Current Contents
- EIC Intelligence
- Engineering Index Monthly & Author Index
- Environmental Periodicals Bibliography
- Bibliographic and Ordering Information
Commenced publication 1957