ISES Presents in REN Alliance Webinar
On 30 June, ISES presented a jointly organized webinar together with our partners of the REN Alliance in response to the global Covid-19 pandemic and the opportunities for renewable energies to work together for a green recovery.
The partners of the REN Alliance, the World Bioenergy Association, the World Wind Energy Association, the International Geothermal Association, the International Hydropower Association, and ISES united under the webinar title of "Renewables working together: Building Back Better through a Green Recovery" and also welcomed speakers from REN21, IRENA and the IEA for this engaging webinar.
ISES Immediate Past President Dave Renné presented current data on the global solar sector, Covid-19 impacts on the sector as well as messages from solar industry in response to Covid-19.
230 attendees from 65 countries engaged in a lively and informative Q/A session with all speakers.
The webinar concluded with a set of joined take away messages from all REN Alliance Members, as the unified voice for renewables:
- Need to accelerate deployment across all sectors, especially in heating, cooling and transport sectors, also by connecting the sectors.
- Create substantial financial incentives for renewables to create competitive advantage for end-users and encourage self-supply.
- Move to mechanisms that meet other objectives than only lowest price and consider additional benefits and services of renewables when designing market mechanisms.
- Broader policy framework devoted to a just and inclusive energy transition, that focuses on deployment, enabling and integrating policies and that allows the full variety of investors, from individuals, communities, SMEs up to larger companies to participate and invest.
- Focus on green skills and offer renewable jobs to communities.
Map and promote health benefits of a green energy-based economy.