RENAlliance Webinar: A New Momentum for Climate Change Mitigation: Renewables Working Together
With the new US Administration in office, China committing to becoming climate neutral by 2060, the European Green Deal and a strong social climate movement being active around the globe, the international climate change mitigation efforts have gained additional momentum. Many governments, amongst them the largest greenhouse gas emitters, have raised their climate ambitions in the past weeks and months. Amibitions by many governments to build back better, in response to the Covid-19 crisis, have added to the new climate momentum.
This new momentum has been reflected in the work of three international key organisations working on the global energy transformation: IRENA, IEA and REN21. Accordingly, representatives from these three organisations will present their latest key reports which include scenarios on how the world can reach its climate goals and keep global warming at 1,5°C. In response, the REN Alliance partners, representing the renewable energy practitioners, will comment on the findings of the organisations, and highlight what needs to be done from the practitioners’ viewpoints, e.g. on policies/legal frameworks, innovation, socioeconomic development or sustainability standards.
- Hon. Peter Rae AO, WWEA: Welcome and Introduction REN Alliance
- Rana Adib, REN21: The Renewables Global Status Report REN21
- Dr. Paolo Frankl, International Energy Agency IEA: Net Zero by 2050: A Roadmap for the Global Energy Sector International Energy Agency IEA
- Dr. Ricardo Gorini, IRENA: World Energy Transitions Outlook: 1.5°C Pathway IRENA
- Interventions by:
- Dr. Marit Brommer, International Geothermal Association
- Eddie Rich, International Hydropower Association
- Dr. David Renne, International Solar Energy Society
- Christian Rakos, World Bioenergy Association
- Stefan Gsänger, World Wind Energy Association
About the RENAlliance
The International Renewable Energy Industry Alliance (RENAlliance) was formed by its founding organizations on 4th June 2004 to enhance policy and information on renewable energy as well as to provide a combined voice for the renewable energy community research, business and industry. The goal of the RENAlliance is to advance policies that favour the increased deployment and use of renewable energy by fostering collaboration, removing barriers, promoting successful implementation strategies, enhancing business conditions and developing markets. Partners of the RENAlliance are: World Bioenergy Association, World Wind Energy Association, International Geothermal Association, International Hydropower Association, International Solar Energy Society.