RENAlliance Side Event at COP28
On December 03, ISES and our partners in the RENAlliance, WWEA (World Winder Energy Association) and WBA (World Bioenergy Association) held an official side event at COP28.
The event was titled Rapidly mobilizing renewable energy resources for a just global energy transformation and the RENAlliance partners were also joined by representatives of CAN, the Climate Action Network.
During the side event, representatives of all four organizations shared updates on the progress of renewable energies towards meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement as part of the Global Stocktake as well as steps needed to increase the scale and pace of deployment through international collaboration – with the ultimate goal of a 100% renewable energy supply worldwide.
It was highlighted that the deployment of renewable energy technologies should occur at all levels – especially at the community and local level. Deploying distributed RE technologies at local level has numerous socio-economic benefits including affordable and reliable energy supply, local value creation, improved health via better air and water, gender equality, reduced poverty etc.
Following the presentations, the panellists and audience discussed how to replicate and scale up these best practice cases at all levels.
- Irfan Mirza, Vice President, World Wind Energy Association
- Dave Renne, Immediate Past President, International Solar Energy Society
- Bharadwaj Kummamuru, World Bioenergy Association
- Koaile Monaheng, Expert on Renewable Energy, CAN International
- Christian Rakos, President, World Bioenergy Association
- Debbie Gray, Climate Policy Manager, InternaAonal Hydropower Association
The event was moderated by Bharadwaj Kummamuru, Executive Director, World Bioenergy Association.