SWC50 - The Century of Solar
SWC50 - The Century of Solar
Email: swc50 [at] ises.org
In 1970 solar research pioneers met at the first International Solar Energy Society (ISES) Conference in Melbourne Australia. ISES is commemorating this Conference with a special 50th Anniversary Virtual Conference, called the Solar World Congress at 50 (SWC50). Please learn more about this new event set-up in the latest SWC50 newsletter here.
The SWC50 highlights the transformation in the global energy sector that has taken place since the first ISES Solar World Congress in 1970 and looks forward to the next 50 years when renewable energy will be the major cornerstone of the global energy system. The Conference will be about the people: researchers, industry players, policy makers, and leaders from NGOs and non-profits who have all contributed to make renewable energy the fastest growing contributor to our global energy supply.
The SWC50 will comprise of:
- A virtual conference in December 2020 which will comprise a total of six 90-minute sessions spread over the 2 days. In the sessions, the presenters will look back over the past 50 years of solar energy development – technical and policy;show the link between the scientists/research and industry; and based on this progress and experience, look forward to what is required within the next 50 years to move towards a global 100% Renewable Energy (RE) target.
The topics for the sessions are:
• Covid-19 and the Energy Transformation: Lessons learnt, and pathways needed to be explored
• Transforming and Growing the Electricity Sector: The Role of Sector Coupling to Meet our End Use Energy Through Electricity
• Transforming the Heating and Cooling Sectors: Solar Thermal and Other Technologies to Meet the Heating Requirements of Industry and the Heating and Cooling Requirements of Communities and Buildings
• Transforming the Transport Sector: Sector Coupling, and the Future Roles of Biofuels and Hydrogen/Fuel Cell Technologies
• Garnering Public Support to Achieve the 100% Renewable Energy Transformation
• Enabling a Policy Landscape and the Financial Markets to Achieve 100% Renewables
An online display focusing on the stories of solar from the past 50+ years and visions for the next 50 years through the eyes of:
- Institutions (research laboratories and universities);
- NGOs and Non-profit organizations:
- Industry; and
- Individuals being recognised in online display through the Renewable Energy Pioneers display;
- Monthly Newsletters during 2020 and 2021
- Development of a Commemorative Booklet called The Century of Solar- Stories and Visions for the Future of Renewable Energy.
- A solar time-line display which will be launched at the 2020 Asia Pacific Solar Research Conference (APSRC20) (Nov 30th-Dec 2nd 2020) in Melbourne and will be available to be displayed at future ISES and ISES partner events. (Note: At this stage, the Australia PV Institute (APVI) still plans to hold the regional conference the same week in Melbourne)
- A historical display at APSRC20.
- A 50-year celebratory dinner at APSRC20
Institutes, Governments and Industry will be invited to be partners where they can provide their story to the online display and booklet. Individuals will be invited to nominate themselves or others as “renewable energy pioneers”. To celebrate the fact that the first SWC was held in Melbourne, the SWC50 will have a session and celebratory dinner during APSRC20. A historic timeline will be displayed at SWC50 and Platinum, Gold and Silver partners will be listed on banners at the APSRC20
Stay up to date at the event's homepage www.swc50.org and subscribe to our SWC50 mailing list by sending an email to public.relations [at] ises.org.
- June 2020 Newsletter
- May 2020 Newsletter
- April 2020 Newsletter
- March 2020 Newsletter
- February 2020 Newsletter
- January 2020 Newsletter