ISES Board of Directors - Nominations opening soon for the term January 2018 - December 2019
The International Solar Energy Society, ISES, is seeking nominations for Members of the Board of Directors, term beginning in January 2018 and ending in December 2019. All current ISES Members are invited to submit their nominations by 15 September 2017. Self-nomination is accepted.
What is the role of the ISES Board of Directors?
ISES is governed by the Board of Directors. The ISES Board of Directors provide leadership and guidance for the Society. The Board of Directors constantly evaluate the role the Society is playing in the renewable energy transformation and how best to create pathways towards a 100% renewable energy future.
The ISES Board of Directors and Headquarters staff, March 2017 at the Freiburg Board meeting
What are the duties of the ISES Board of Directors?
Board members are responsible for contributing to the Society in these main areas:
- Creating vision and values
- Developing corporate climate and culture
- Monitoring the external political, economic, social, technological, physical and trade environment
- Positioning in the changing markets
- Setting corporate direction
- Reviewing and deciding key resources
- Deciding implementation process
- Overseeing management performance
- Monitoring budgetary control
- Reviewing key business results
- Being accountable to full ISES Board of Directors, membership, partners, and other stakeholders
- Ensuring sound audits of finances and other key performance measures
Board members contribute in these specific activities:
- Support ISES strategic plan to ensure Society’s sustainable development
- Participate at ISES Board of Directors Meetings (three face-to-face meetings in a two-year term)
- Participate in monthly Board of Directors conference calls
- Acquire Company and Institution Members to increase outreach and funding for ISES
- Participate in discussions and vote on electronic ballots on Board of Directors decisions (usually no more than 12 ballots per year)
- Participate in communications on specific topics through the e-mail distribution list
Board members also are encouraged to:
- Lead key strategic Society tasks and participate in working or task groups
- Chair or co-chair a Division
- Participate in ISES international initiatives or projects
What are the requirements for nomination to the ISES Board of Directors?
The ISES Board of Directors is comprised of 13 places (plus one place to be nominated by the Executive Committee):
- Young ISES – 1 (under 35 years old)
- Corporate Members – 1
- Members at large – 11
- 1 per each of the 4 countries with the highest number of ISES members (countries will be listed here on the 01 September 2017)
- 7 from any country including the top 4 countries.
- There can be no more than 2 per country in this category
- Executive Committee proposal – 1 (this place will be selected in January 2018)
Candidates must submit statements that provide the following:
- A short biographical statement or CV and photo, and
- A statement that clearly identifies the constituency they plan to represent and a description of how they will fulfill their duties as a member of the ISES Board of Directors.
Click here for the Board Cadidate Application Form. Please send the completed form by 15 September 2017 to email@example.com.
How often do the ISES Board of Directors meet?
There are two face-to-face meetings within the term for the ISES Board of Directors. The first meeting is in Freiburg, Germany at the ISES headquarters. In past years, these meetings have been held early in the year (February or March). The meeting is two full days long. As well as serious discussions and brainstorming sessions, the meetings are very enjoyable and finish with a meal in a beautiful restaurant in Freiburg. For an insight into these “Freiburg meetings”, please see our informal YouTube videos:https://youtu.be/QRa9MHpULCs?list=PLHMZ2tGVXsM-pUWjbcv0GoOdOYA-JrOLc and https://youtu.be/SBZCG-WAI7w.
The second meeting is held every second year at the ISES Solar World Congress. For the term beginning in January 2018, that meeting will take place at the ISES Solar World Congress 2019 (preliminarily in October).
The Board of Directors are expected to cover their own travel and accommodation costs for both face-to-face meetings. ISES can offer rooms in a comfortable and convenient hotel at discounted rates. In addition to the two face-to-fase meetings, there are monthly conference calls which all Board Members are encouraged to participate in as often as possible.
How long is a term in the ISES Board of Directors?
Members of the ISES Board of Directors serve two year terms, with the possibility to re-apply for Board positions for 3 consecutive terms.
What are the rewards of being a Member of the ISES Board of Directors?
The rewards of volunteering on the Board of Directors are vast. First and foremost, you will be rewarded by seeing the fruit of your work in a constantly improved and forward-thinking Society. You will have direct influence on the direction of the Society and be able to bring in your ideas at all levels. Please read the following testimonials from current ISES Board of Directors:
"Being the Young ISES representative on the Board of Directions has been exciting and very rewarding. I have been able to speak at high level UN events, travel internationally to represent the society, and help guide the future agenda of ISES to best represent the coming generation of solar experts. I would highly recommend another enthusiastic person early in their solar energy career to run in the upcoming elections." - Steven Meyers ISES Board Member
The ISES Board of Directors will be featured on the ISES website with photo, e-mail address and short description. Many choose to include their membership to the ISES Board of Directors in their e-mail signatures and Résumés. News / interviews from members of the Board will also be featured in the ISES newsletters. ISES Board members may also take advantage of a free International Experts Network (IEN) subscription.
Who is the contact person for the ISES Board of Directors?
The ISES Headquarters, consisting of 5 staff members (2 full-time) are at hand to support the ISES Board of Directors and to execute the approved work plan and budget. The ISES Headquarters staff will coordinate all meetings for the Board of Directors and take care of administrative and organizational tasks for the Society.
If you require further information about the ISES Board of Directors election process, please send an e-mail to the ISES Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org.